It seems like every Columbus Day brings the confusion of not knowing what is open and what isn’t. Columbus Day, unlike many national holidays sort of falls in a gray area. Many business’s are open, however, some of them are not. While most schools are closed today, many normal business’s remain open. Are banks and the USPS open today? Nope. Today is a bank holiday, however the New York Stock Exchange is open to a regular day of trading. Seems a bit odd considering the financial backbone of the country is shut down.
The USPS, otherwise known as the post office, is also closed today. Below is a schedule of USPS holidays:
- January 1 – New Year’s Day
- January 18 – Martin Luther King Jr’s Birthday
- February 15 – Washington’s Birthday (President’s Day)
- May 31 – Memorial Day
- July 5 – Independence Day
- September 6 – Labor Day
- October 11 – Columbus Day
- November 11 – Veterans Day
- November 25 – Thanksgiving Day
- December 25 – Christmas Day
- January 1, 2011 – New Year’s Day
If you ended up getting off today, thank your boss, because a majority of employers remain open on Columbus Day.